Monday, October 8, 2012

CREATIVE TIME: Rachel Tsao

On October 12, the Arts Research Center at UC Berkeley and the Curatorial Practice at the California College of the Arts are partnering to host a live-streaming of the Creative Time Summit, an annual conference in New York that brings together cultural producers--including artists, critics, writers, and curators--to discuss how their work engages pressing issues affecting our world. To jump-start the conversation in advance of the event, attendees have been asked to submit a paragraph on a keyword associated with one of the summit themes: Inequities, Occupations, Making, or Tactics. This posting is by Rachel Tsao, American Cyberculture student at UC Berkeley.

Keyword: Making

Growing up, I thought Barbie was stupid. I enjoyed building small motor race cars from scratch and making robot toys that moved. In a world of hackers, programmers, and technologists, I enjoy being a maker. In my free time, I take on DLY projects. I make blinky light boxes, race cars, jewelry, and self-print wrapping paper. Making is an art-fo  rm. It allows me to combine my interests in science, art, and technology and craft cool gadgets and devices that I can play with. Even at 21 years old, I am never too old to play with toys. In New York City and the SF Bay area, making has become a movement. Every year, both areas hold a Maker Faire, where makers come together to make, create, hack, learn, innovate, build and play. One of the small joys of my life is making something that I can truly call my own. Making allows me to do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment